Monday, February 23, 2009

Returned from Phoenix

This was a hard day's journey... I really wanted a flight from Phoenix that got me back to Jacksonville, FL, before midnight. Although I drank some caffeine to help keep me going, it's not really sticking to my plan to be caffeine-free or to help maintain weight. But I did get home safely. Still, it's after 3 a.m. and now I cannot sleep. And that is how this blog got started...

I was watching all the folks who were traveling with me today. Most of them were really in their 40's and 50's. I was truly the exception. Perhaps other mature adults are at home in bed on a Sunday night instead of guessing how long the Boeing 757 will roll before it takes off. (Average seconds: 33 if fully loaded)

But something I pondered is that with the financial crisis going on, what corners are getting snipped in various airline operations & maintenance units? And is the pressure on pilots and staff to double-up where FAA allows? For example: we arrived in Atlanta on time, but there wasn't any agent around to drive the "gangway" or ramp so we could get off the plane. We stood in the aisles and waited about 10 minutes for this to be corrected.

There will be more of these ponderings... and you are welcome to add your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment