Tuesday, June 16, 2009

More weekend ferry shots


   I'm still reflecting on the sunny weekend and all the ferry rides we took to British Columbia and back. Here are some of the best shots... This first one is of a German fellow who is traveling with his wife for six months across the continent in a camper they had sent over from their country. They were delightful to talk to and they kindly took a picture of Jey-hu and me for our historical records and we returned the favor.
   The second shot is one that Jey-hu took as we were approaching Orcas Island. This old building is one that goes back to the early settlers of the island, according to one traveler. Although it has been upgraded, it's been a landmark for many years.
   Friday Harbor is a popular spot for boaters of all kinds. It was 28 years ago that I made my first, and last, visit to this lovely locale. I spent Fourth of July weekend here with a fellow who had a power boat, which was considerably smaller than the one featured here. He used to say that the Golden Rule was "He who has the gold makes the rules." The truth in that remark irritated me, and that he had that belief structure along with his initials, B.S., caused me to look for a more idealistic partner. All these years later I realize that idealism has no place in a world of commerce, which is really what is going on and my long-ago host can be forgiven, if he's still on the planet.
   The hazy light made this shot look more artistic than it might have otherwise. Hope you are enjoying our collection of views of the San Juan Islands.

1 comment:

  1. I am so enjoying your travels ! visiting along with you. Lovely posts.

    ReplyDelete