Monday, January 28, 2019

Feels like an Agatha Christie mystery...

Not exactly the "statues" I had in mind, but in a way
they stand in for that element.
If you ever read "Ten Little Indians" or seen the Agatha Christie Mystery "And Then There Were None..." you may have some idea of how I am feeling today hearing that yet another long-term Multiple Myeloma (MM) has announced his acceptance that no more treatments will be done.

Since I started this blog in 2009 to rant, rave and rail against a disease I knew nothing about at that time, I have watched all those wonderful folks fall like the statues in the mystery. Fortunately the person who inspired my blog writing is still with us and he is managing the consequences of the disease pretty well as we mark the tenth year since his diagnosis.

But Mike Gormley and his wife, Lorna, are the latest victims of MM, a far more murderous element than anything Christie could create. Reading that news late last night, I guess I should not have been surprised to have had dreams about most of the others who have already departed. It was a strange party to attend, not unlike the one on Shelter Island where everyone (unknowingly) has a death sentence awaiting them. We gathered around the table and I had a chance to speak to each one, asking how they were doing, commenting on how long the silence has been, etc.

My favorite was Lonnie Nesseler, a motorcycle rider, pianist, scientist and creative personality, who stepped up and said, "It's a new adventure. You can't really describe it to those who haven't arrived yet." Lonnie had been adventuresome in his treatments, and willing to educate readers as well as his medical team along the journey. But I had a toast with Bob Kirkpatrick, who pointed out that I was now a lot closer to where he used to live, which would suggest that we are not really so distant from the Other Side as we tend to believe.

So let us raise our glasses to them all, let them hear their names called out once more in appreciation for what and who they were to each of us, gone but not forgotten.

Peter Boyle (actor), Sam Walton (WalMart founder), John Ricco (author), Andre (photographer) 2009, Hamada (statesman) 2010, Paula (Multiple Myloma Buddy maker) and Sean Tiernan (photographer) 2012, Lonnie Nesseler (educator) 2010, Robert "Bob" Kirkpatrick (inventor) 2015, and others known to me but not listed here for privacy reasons.

Each one was special to someone, each one served a purpose. I guess the reason for posting this is to honor Mike as he prepares to conclude his business here and to support Lorna as she has little choice as a primary caregiver to go along for the ride.

My dearest wish is that we are able to solve this mystery of MM; to find out what causes the bone marrow cells to start running haywire, to be able to give those with this diagnosis something to hope for, if not a cure at least some way to live with it after treatment.

The setting sun shadows Mt. Rainier in Washington State.
And I end by quoting Ken Kesey, "Loved. You can't use it in the past tense. Death does not stop that love at all."

2 comments:

  1. Thank you dear Sandy. We too have spoken a great deal about Paula over the last few months as well as many the others who were taken far too early. I know I am not alone really, but sometimes it feels like I am, alone in the overwhelming grief that for now I have to hide as to release it would cause Mike more distress than is necessary. x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lorna, It is a terrible burden for you to carry all by yourself and I encourage you to find a grief support group now where you can find like-minded souls to ease you through this time. How I wish I was closer so I could take you out for a 'cuppa' and let you unburden and find new strength. I am sure you feel it is the right thing to shield Mike, but at the same time don't you think he would want to know how much you mean to him, even though his going is not of his choice? But you know him best and how to keep both of you protected from all that raw emotion so you do have to follow your own instincts. I do hope there is a group you can find and I will be sending you Lovelight blessings and energy to see you through. You will make it; even though it may seem like trying to climb Everest in flip-flops, you only have to take it a day at a time. Great big hugs to you, dear one.

    ReplyDelete