Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Remembering today all the wonderful people in my life who were Irish, but particularly Patrick "Pat" O'Leary who was like a saint to me. He taught me to love the earth and find joy in turning it. His favorite song to hum when I was following him around was "Annie Laurie" and "The Rose of Tralee." (If you click on the song name, you can hear it, I hope. The link also has all the words and loads of other Irish songs.)Lucky Shamrock

My father loved music and although he was not Irish, one of his favorite songs was "Danny Boy," which still makes my eyes get wet when I hear it. This is also the anniversary of his death several decades ago. He was such a remarkable man. Is it enough to simply say I still miss him?

Here are a few Irish poems to cheer you, whether or not you are Irish.

May you always have
Walls for the winds,
A roof for the rain,
Tea beside the fire,
Laughter to cheer you,
Those you love near you,
And all your heart might desire!

Sure and begorrah, this is for the Leprechaun in each of us....

May those who love us, love us
And those who don’t love us,
May God turn their hearts
And if he can’t turn their hearts,
May he turn their ankles
So we will know them by their limping!

And if you are traveling on this day....

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment