Tuesday, November 30, 2010

This Must Be a Sign...

I followed my friend Betty into the Hospice Haven to see if I could find a transistor or portable radio for someone in Barichara. No luck. But while I was waiting for her to finish paying for some little treasure she found, I overheard a young woman making a comment about Colombia.

My ears went on red alert and I immediately, without any thought of the consequence of eavesdropping, listened to her conversation. But it was the end part that made me just shiver.... "and I cannot wait to get back to Bogota!"

Friends know me to be very approachable and I also do a lot of "approaching," perhaps because of all the years in the newspaper and other media businesses I was in. "Excuse me, senora, I couldn't help overhearing you speaking about Colombia... and I am leaving for there in a short time..."She moved over to speak to me and interrupted, "When, when are you going?"
A path from the village of Barichara to the overlook to try and see
if we could see the Rio Suarez from there.

I told her I was aiming for the first week in December and heading to the north in the country, to Santander and Barichara. Her eyes got all misty and when I told her I loved her country, she turned to her friend and said, "See, here is someone who can tell you how beautiful my country is since you don't believe me."

I have invited her to come to this blog to read about my travels and see pictures of her beloved land... and as I was leaving I was pondering the little miracle of finding a Colombiana in a small town in Florida - do you think it was a sign?

2 comments:

  1. "Friends know me to be very approachable and I also do a lot of "approaching," perhaps because of all the years in the newspaper and other media businesses I was in" HA! My background is newspaper display advertising sales, marketing and public relations! I tend to do alot of "approaching", as well! :) YES. It was a sign. Don't want to sound kooky or too "New Age", but I've always loved this quote from the Bonzo Dog Band.... "There are no coincidences, but sometimes the pattern is more obvious". Pretty groovy, huh? ;) Safe travels, sweetie... keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes a good sign for sure. How I love little gems like that, life seems full of these lately or is the world just getting smaller and smaller. How the news of Hamada's passing has 'dug up'(whoops!) several old friends. Names and memories emerge from the past. Almost like chinese whispers the news travels the world.
    How was it you were just in this place at the same time, gave such joy to the lady, memories of her homeland. Strange life eh! Stay safe x

    ReplyDelete