Friday, February 3, 2017

Hearts and Flowers

This is the month of romance, hearts and flowers, friendship, love and all those tender things. It is going to be my month of gratitudes and appreciation as well.

So here are 28 things I am acknowledging:
Me in La Conner, WA (2016)

1) My own body; for putting up with my indulgences and still it keeps on ticking and showing me how resilient it can be. I love you, my body, for all the places you have taken me and all the places we haven't seen yet!

2) My children; because you remind me of how I was instrumental in starting something that has turned out very well, not entirely because of my influence, but still I take pride in knowing each of you.

3) The rest of my family of origin including all the grands: Each of you has helped to shape me into who I am today from experiences, events and connections. I am grateful for it all.

4) My very best and longest friend of all, Dee Rivard: hardly seems possible we have known each other for all these decades and that it has taken me so long to realize how important it was that you got to be the Long Ranger for once... this is your year! Ride hard and long and I'll still be riding with you... Kemosabe!

5) Blessed and special friends, some with years of connection, others with less. A couple I will mention here: Rod Normandin, who died Jan. 11, was one of the first folks in Sequim to be truly helpful to me and worked with me to purchase (and then sell) my first place and then was diligent and supportive as we worked on the purchase of my present home not believing me when I said the other one would sell in three weeks... which it did... and gave us both laughter and a sigh of relief. You will be missed, my friend. Carol Joy, who celebrates her first wedding anniversary this month, is dear to my heart for her teaching, supporting, blessing and loving me whether we're close in distance or not. Jenna Rose, the twirly girl, former roommate and dancing pal, keeps reminding me of my responsibility to stay happy.

Cleopurr-tra and Maksim
6) There are two fur babies in my household: Maksim (Russian for 'the greatest') and Cleopurr-tra keep me warm and busy picking up their toys. Oh, and lest I forget, my water balancer, Blue, the Siamese fighting fish, who also entertains the cats.

7) I am so grateful for my steady and reliable car which has the name "Ankh," referring to the Egyptian heiroglyphic meaning "life." I get a lot of joy from this car that has heated seats in the winter and a sunroof in the summer. And in line with that, appreciating the folks at Murray Motors in Port Angeles who keep her running.

8) My home; a sweet little place in a nice community, placed so that I'm at the edge of things, just as I like it... with a manageable garden and last year I had lots of raspberries and blueberries in it!

Guessing that this is some kind of Thrush, but my bird
friends say the beak is too long. Anyone know?
9) The birds that come to visit... junkos and robins and various wrens, swallows, crows, eagles, etc. Though the eagles only come as far as the top of the nearby trees, it is a pleasure to hear them call out to each other.

10) My computer... updated by my son-in-law, it takes me far and wide with connections to folks all over the globe. It stores all my photos of various places and things, holds my budget safely, and is a daily source of instruction and inspiration.
Pretty sure this is a junko taken in January. 
11) The local YMCA provides me with a place to exercise, swim, and be in community with like-minded folks... it's worth the membership fee to not have equipment crowding my living room!

12) My artist groups: I am fortunate to have several and each of them offers me something special to encourage and stimulate my creative juices!
My most recent watercolor from a photograph by Mark Balcer.
This is an 11 by 17 on 350# paper.

13) The Android device that gives me access to hundreds of free books on the Washington State library system, and other free books or movies on other sites, making the dark days of winter hurry by!

14) Bonnie Hunter, originator of the Mystery Quilt, gave me joy and frustration in equal measure as I learned how to build a quilt for the very first time starting in November. The "En Provence" pattern caused me to cut out too many items because I didn't read it well enough, so I have more stuff for another one, perhaps next winter.

Here is a picture of the progress so far:
"En Provence," the Mystery Quilt by
Bonnie Hunter, still has a few panels to go.
15) Financial advisors: Nichols and Pratt, a Boston, MA, firm along with Edward Jones, are appreciated for keeping my financial life in balance so that I can enjoy my retirement which includes exploring my world locally and at a greater distance.

16) The T-mobile phone that costs me the least of any I've ever owned and gives me information, connection, and direction (I'm a WAZER) plus keeping my schedule so I don't miss appointments. Does it get any better than this?

17) All the baristas: who from one provider to another always have a happy smile when I pull up for a vanilla latte and don't make a face if I ask for a little extra milk - I appreciate you all!!

New couch is perfect for me!
18) Brian from Sequim Consignment: who struggled to get my new-to-me couch into my living room and was prompt about getting repairs done to the damage created by the move. And I just love how cozy the replacement couch is!!

19) All the Abrahamsters in my life who support and encourage me by setting a shining example of staying fierce about alignment, minding their own business, focusing on the downstream and soothing phrases that keep joy flowing... I really love and appreciate you!

20) For all the men and women in our military who do their very best to protect the rights of democracy at home and abroad.

21) Grateful for my Naturopathic Physician for discovering that my adrenals needed support and essentially rescuing me from having a personal dead battery... recharged and moving on!!

22) Appreciating the two art show organizers that made it possible for me to show my work in two separate shows in this area for the first time last year. And feeling excited about having my own show in September in Sequim!
Light reflecting off the frame of my Dungeness Sunset,
a watercolor on 10 by 12" cold press paper.

23) Appreciating all the musicians in the area who play in a number of venues so that folks like me can go and dance for a reasonable fee, and for all the fun and laughter I have when I do go dancing.

24) Grateful for the opportunity to learn more about PSYCH-K (TM) and to incorporate it into my Reiki processes, for the highest and best good of all concerned.
The Olympics, as seen from Sequim, WA.
25) For this beautiful part of the world, which gives me delight daily!!

26) For all the scientists and others working for a cure for Multiple Myeloma, so that no one has to endure the challenges it brings, I am truly grateful.

27) The developers of the digital cameras that I use frequently, in my phone, around my neck, in my hand, to capture all that I am appreciating... they get a big hug of gratitude!

and finally,

28) Appreciating all my readers, without whom I could not have continued this blog, and especially those who have, and continue to make, encouraging comments or observations!

May your February be full of things you can appreciate or have gratitude for!!

No comments:

Post a Comment