Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Living Dangerously


Yesterday, the first day when the sun started out shining and went on doing it all day long, I decided to actually "sunbathe!" Although sun is a known risk for a variety of ailments this was not the dangerous part of my day.
LEFT: VIEW OF ENTRY INTO BASEMENT APT
I have recently moved into a very cute basement apartment in a town near where I was living before and since it is part of a couple's house, I am totally blessed with a lovely backyard garden which is populated by a number of robins and crows. I have seen a few other birds, but these are the dominant species.
BELOW: VIEW OF GARDEN FROM ENTRY
The house, seen from the front at the top of this blog, is on the western edge of Puget Sound, north of Seattle. You say the name of the town this way: moo-kill-tee-oh and it's spelled like this: Mukilteo. One of the treats for this new area is that as I drive to and from their home (and my new digs) I find the views are spectacular, even on a grey day. Lots of flowers, lots of high-end dwelling units, and I do not have hundreds of people living beside, behind, above and below me.

So what was the dangerous part of the day? Well, as I was lying on the grass, half of me in the sun and half in the mottled shade, looking up through the cherry tree, I noticed one of several robins tugging on the fruit. Suddenly, "bombs aaaawayyyy!" And a cherry dropped right on top of me, followed by another 'gift' which I managed to avoid.

And here is one of the offenders, who was listening for sounds in the ground. Later I saw it merrily pulling away at a rather large-sized earthworm which was carried off to a nest in the fir tree next to the driveway.

It is so peaceful here and now that we are starting to have some summer, it is really much more enjoyable than it has been for several weeks. I leave you with this somewhat hazy view of Puget Sound... more to come!


3 comments:

  1. Such a very beautiful place to live and so nice to see YOUR part of the world. Seems you have a really very beautiful garden to relax and spend your time. How near you are to the sea! Quite perfect I'd say. All very best wishes Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy the apartment & garden look gorgeously twee, the view I'm so jealous, that robin - gosh that's big - our robins are about 3" tall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments, Susie and P... interesting that English Robins are smaller. Perhaps the worms are as well? I see our birds tugging on earthworms that are almost 1/4" in diameter!

    ReplyDelete