Friday, July 23, 2010

A Murder of Crows


"When two or more are gathered together..." they are called a "murder of crows." If you have a bunch of geese, they are called "a gaggle of geese." I forget what this phraseology is called right at the moment, but I felt like doing some serious damage to these insistent avian visitors to the formerly peaceful garden I was enjoying. They, on the other hand, were making a lot of noise, together and separately as you can see from the open beaks.

I am only guessing, but the cherries are in full ripeness now and there seems to be quite a bit of competition from the robins and the crows as to who is going to get the reddest one. I watched a robin carry a large piece of the fruit over to the shadows where it put the cherry down and pecked at it unobserved for a moment. Then suddenly it had to do a 'grab and go' as these much bigger bullies showed up.

The noise was too much so I left for the Mukilteo Farmer's Market down at Lighthouse Park. On another day I will take some time to investigate the lighthouse itself, but amazingly it was already mid-afternoon, and I didn't want to miss out on the fresh fruits and vegetables.

Here are some shots of the market, some of the organic food and the lighthouse. Don't those onions look delicious?

4 comments:

  1. So beautiful fotos you have on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crows look like they are advertising their own market for the cherries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take a plastic cup or a soda can and crinkle it (make the sound by squeezing it and releasing ) They hate that sound. From 100 ft away, the crows around here scatter when I do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are all so Beautiful!

    Nice to see you today

    Hope you love your hair :)
    Faye

    ReplyDelete