Friday, July 30, 2010

Walking through Body World

There has been a lot of radio discussion that I have heard about Body World exhibitions, or similar kinds of shows of preserved human bodies. I considered that I was lucky to be able to attend the presentation at the Denver Nature & Science Museum yesterday. Here is a link to a Student Guide which answers a lot of questions before going to the exhibit. We were not allowed to take photographs (or chew gum???) upon entering, and it was a marvelous, educational, respectful presentation of our physical bodies. I was guiding a 6.5 year old, two 9 year olds and a nearly 12 year old through and they were mostly fascinated, curious, and amazed.... like me.

The detail of the circulatory system, for the non-medical anatomical studiers, caused us all to gape and read the posted instructional information - did you know that if all the veins, arteries and capillaries were linked end-to-end they could reach around the world at least twice - for the average adult?

Did you know that the heart pumps the equivalent of 8,500 gallons of blood through the system? I would go and see this exhibit again if I could go alone. But it was worth it seeing the children developing a new respect for the bodies that should carry them into adulthood.


No comments:

Post a Comment