Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Solving the Starbucks Mystery

My Grande cup from Starbucks in the process of doing my
scientific study of what I am actually getting when I order it.
I am quite sure I am not alone in wondering what a cup of Grande-anything at Starbucks means.

Awhile ago I purchased a Starbucks 'mug' with label on the bottom that specifies it as a "14" ounce container.

It actually holds 16 ounces when filled to just below the lid line.

But when I have ordered a 16-ounce beverage at Starbucks, it never gets filled up. I was becoming frustrated with what I felt was a 'rip-off.'

So I decided to buy a Grande Latte and take the cup home. This is what I found out.

Aside from the fact that Starbucks says they are offering their patrons a 16-ounce drink for about $3.75, what the guest asks for determines the final price, but they will NEVER get a full 16 ounces.

Here is why.
This has blue water in it so you can easily
see what is considered the 'fill line' for a cup
of Grande anything.
The 16-ounce cup means 16 ounces can be held in the cup, but they cannot fill it to the full mark, because of the risk of spillage, for one thing.

But it also means that no one is ever going to get a full 16 ounces of product. At best, it will be about 14 ounces.

Note where the blue water line is... 14 ounces.
And depending on the baristas, it could be slightly more or significantly less.

If you want a beverage containing 16 ounces of whatever you like, you will have to order the larger cup (or bring one of your own that holds more than 16 ounces).

And... if Starbucks was being honest, they would offer their patrons a Grande, designated as a 14-ounce beverage, NOT a 16-ounce beverage. That's why everyone is complaining.

And if I was doing public relations for Starbucks, I would launch a campaign of honesty with a cut in costs showing the cut in sizes and the calories involved and how it all would be better for everyone knowing just what they are getting.

But I'm retired for good...

No comments:

Post a Comment