Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Family ACCIPITRIDAE are my neighbors...

   Refers to the formal name of the bird I was trying to identify. I was pointed to a website about hawks and found out that my recent visitor was a Red-Tailed Hawk, and my guess that it was a juvenile was probably correct. If you click on the link, you can hear their call... I get to hear it pretty regularly without doing that. I looked for it today, but only heard the cries off in the distance. Perhaps the hunting wasn't all that great - it was pretty cold all day.
   So it is not the Osprey, which sort of de-mystifies the whole event a little, but doesn't take away from the rapture of the raptor... sorry, readers -I couldn't resist.
   Tomorrow I have errands to run and will take my camera down by the lake to see what it going on in that neighborhood. I think the ducks are hatching now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment