Monday, March 23, 2009

Spring in my yard

   Look what just has blossomed in my yard this week! I didn't know what it was, but some Internet searching led me to the Trumpet Vine (Red) which has the potential to climb 35 ft. without a trellis. If you look closely you can see the pollen it's created as well as the pine pollen which is showing up everywhere - achoooo!
   Although this is supposed to be 'sweet-scented,' I was unable to discern much scent at all. To be fair, it is about 60 degrees outside and perhaps the flower needs to have some warmth and sunshine to be smelly. And it's kind of drizzly as well. 
   According to the description it can bloom all summer, so I'm curious why I didn't see it last year... not old enough? Some descriptions say it takes seven years to establish itself. Master Gardeners are invited to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment